Our Future Center Programs
Fam 1st Family is working on a number of programs and service that demonstrate our vision and future goals.
Reach For Your Dream‘s Scholarship
The Reach For Your Dreams Scholarship is awarded to one youth each year. The scholarship recipient is someone who has shown outstanding character in the face of adversity, maintains a ﬁrm conunitment to reaching their goals, has a positive outlook on life and is a positive role model to other youths in their community.
Each year we partner with a like-minded organization responsible for identifying the current recipient. This year our panner is Youth Alive, an Oakland based organization that strives to prevent violence and provides support to victims of violent crimes. To learn more about Youth Alive please go to www.youthalive.org
Pro’s vs. ACT/SAT Workshops
Tutoring & mentoring program to help improve student and student-athletes ACT/SAT scores)
So often, inner-city children excel in high school sports, but do not have the educational foundation at home to excel equally in the classroom.
Athletic scholarships are often revoked because of partially qualifying or not qualifying at all to the academic requirements of that college or
There are three basic requirements that most colleges or universities adhere to when admitting a student athlete:
- Most colleges or universities require a 2.5 GPA or better.
- Most colleges or universities require students to score at least a 17 on the ACT and an 860 on the SAT depending on those school academic guidelines.
- By registering through the Clearinghouse this governing body makes sure all academic requirements are met and that the students are clear to attend the college or university of their choice.
If one of the three requirements is not met. a student is referred to as a partial qualifier. a category that a large number of inner-city student-athletes seem to fall under.
The two-hour SAT and ACT workshops will be coordinated to begin 6 weeks prior to SAT and ACT testing dates. The workshops will be spearheaded by local volunteers to help high school students and student-athletes reach the required scores on standardized tests and become fully qualiﬁed according to college or university requirements. To ensure each student and student-athlete’s full participation and attendance at every study session and exam. each former NFL player will adopt 1-5 participants.
Partnering with Reading Partners
- Feature a book of the month
- Reading Partners will come in center three times a week to work with youth
Partner with Wells Fargo to teach youth on financial planning
- How to write checks/ keep check book balance
- How to take care of credit
- How to plan for retirement
- How to buy a house
- How to save for college/ use of funds during college
- Understanding a little of Wall Street
Partnering with 715 Fitness
- Students must keep at least a 2.0 gpa to continue membership at center, this will promote and stress the importance of education
- Can have the youth bring in report cards
- Encourage reading feature and showcase ” Book of the Month” pushing literacy is huge
- Tutoring for the youth
- Pro’s vs. ACT/SAT
Media Center/ Recording Studio:
- Writers workshop
- How to edit/ cut films
- Weekly/monthly show ” Family’s 1st TV”
- How to create beats
- How to read contracts
- How to create EPK’s ” electronic press kits”
Partnering with Samcee Cain
- Think beyond the box and create
- How to draw/ sketch
- How to design- create Family’s 1st t-shirt line (can create an online store to sell items, this will teach the youth about innovation and entrepreneurship skills)
Partnering with 715 Fitness
- Fundamental skills and concepts
- Harvest teamwork, and develop leadership on and off the field
- Healthy eating habits
Law and Order program:
Create a law system where youth can play the roles of a judge, plaintiff, lawyers, cops and resolve all issues within the center at court Fam 1st Court. If a rule is broken, the youth will set a court date and reach a verdict eg. clean the bathrooms for a week, can’t participate in a certain program for a week etc.